Thanks to an effective brand-new efficiency improvement, Microsoft 365 customers can now transcribe audio files with numerous speakers, at no additional expense. Our pointers and techniques reveal you how to conserve money and time with Transcribe.
By Jill Duffy
Microsoft just recently revealed a brand-new function in Word that instantly transcribes audio files, particularly discussions in between 2 or more speakers. For individuals who frequently record interviews, talks, and other discussions, this brand-new transcription tool lets them get composed text of their audio files with really little work and no additional expense, which is all an efficiency increase.
I offered the brand-new function a spin and need to confess that even with a couple of first-timer issues, it conserved me in between one and 2 hours of time for a 22-minute recording. Plus, thanks to the method the function is carried out, it’s simple to listen to the audio file and make corrections to the text at the exact same time. I discovered Word’s transcription function to be an extremely beneficial time-saver. Here’s what you require to learn about it, how to get it, and how to utilize it.
Transcribe for Word is presently readily available in the web variation of Microsoft Word, and you need to be a Microsoft 365 customer to get it. You likewise need to utilize the Chrome or Microsoft Edge web browser to gain access to this function. To discover the tool, go to the House toolbar and search the far best side for Dictate. Click it, and discover the Transcribe alternative from the brief drop-down menu (it’s the 2nd option).
Since this writing, Transcribe is just readily available for American English, however, in the future, it will deal with whatever language you set as your choice in Word. For uploaded audio files, there is a size limitation of 4MB. Lastly, you require a web connection for the function to work.
Transcribe is a brand-new function that transcribes an audio file into text. You can tape audio straight in Word or submit an audio file that you tape in other places.
How is it various from the Dictate function? Dictation analyzes a single person speaking. Transcribe deals with numerous speakers. Determine is something you do rather of composing however typically while still considering how you will turn your words into a last piece of composing. When you utilize the Transcribe tool, you likely wish to concentrate on the discussion and conserve your ideas about how you will utilize those words in the last piece for later on.
When you share a Word file with somebody and it includes a transcribed file, the recipient can see whatever in the Transcribe pane. Simply put, they can see the complete, initial transcribed text in text obstructs with time stamps. They cannot, nevertheless, play the audio file.
As discussed, you can tape discussions from Word or submit an audio file to be transcribed. I evaluated the function by submitting a 22-minute file, and it took about 30 minutes to transcribe. If you record in genuine time utilizing Word, nevertheless, the app sends out pieces of your audio to the AI transcriber as you go, which indicates you get the last transcription back much quicker.
In my test file, and in other demonstrations I enjoyed from Microsoft, the app was respectable at distinguishing voices. My test file had 2 female speakers. The app at first chose there were 3 individuals. It identifies individuals as Speaker 1, Speaker 2, and so on. In the end, the app just misidentified one line as from a 3rd speaker, so it was really simple to fix.
The last transcription appears in a panel to the right of your file, instead of in the file itself. That method, you can select to consist of the whole transcription or simply specific quotes.
Here are a couple of pointers to working proficiently with the brand-new Transcribe tool.
- Rename Speaker 1, Speaker 2 First. Prior To doing any other modifying, you must relabel Speaker 1, Speaker 2, etc in the Transcribe panel. You can do it as soon as and after that select to fix all circumstances. If you have more than 2 speakers, you most likely must confirm any quotes you utilize by listening to the audio and making certain the voice lines up with the name, as it can still fail.
- Include Text to Your File Piece by Piece or At one time. Each transcribed block of text has a plus check in its block. When you click that plus indication, it includes the text to your file anywhere your cursor is. Additionally, you can include all the text to your file by selecting the alternative at the bottom of the panel that states Include all to file.
- Focus On Time Stamps. Each transcribed block of text has a time stamp on it. Those are valuable when you wish to support the audio to listen once again and ensure the AI transcribed the text properly.
- Look For Random Capitalization. Among the most typical mistakes I saw was the random capitalization of words. Take note as you modify your last copy.
- Bad Words Get Bleeped. My test transcription included the expression “piss putting” and the transcription came out as “**** putting.” Depending upon how you plan to utilize your last file, you might wish to keep an eye out for bleeped words.
The next time you need to transcribe an interview or your desire a recording and typed records of a conference, you can utilize Word to do it without any additional expense (as long as you’re a Microsoft 365 customer) and a great deal less effort than doing it by hand.
For groups that transcribe audio wholesale, a transcription service might be a much better bet. A few of these services are even complimentary. Workplace 365 is not complimentary, however for the best user, having an integrated transcription function that’s so firmly incorporated with Word is a game-changer.