Barbara Dijkhuis & Auke Vleer
- The wonder of America is its National Parks and cities’ majestic buildings.
- [Yawn] We’ve heard this so many times. Tell me more, what else?
- People, faces, horizons.
- Hum, yeah, it could be, you’re getting closer.
- I’ve got an idea, let’s ask somebody that doesn’t live here, a couple of foreigners that come virgin-eyed and travel the States West-to-East.
- Hey, good idea, that’s just what Dutch designer Barbara Dijkhuis and photographer Auke Vleer did.
all american is the visual photo diary of a 5,000 mile journey from LA to NY, illustrated by 750 photos chosen from a few thousand originals, which give us a perception many American eyes can no longer.
all american is not concerned with canyons, arches or spires, however impressive they may be. It’s not about old quarters, mile-long bridges or sleepless cities. Rather it’s about the people that live amongst these wonders, passing their days inside X-mas lit American houses, driving on American cars toward serene American sunsets and flashing around huge American smiles. It’s a visual reality we often miss because we see it everyday. But it’s anything but ordinary. Dijkhuis and Vleer reveal the core of American life and landscape in its subtle and beautiful simplicity.
Double page photos of La’s swamps, NM vast desert, NC foggy valleys alternate with pages of Very Large Array, Ca and Nv residents, kids’ smiles and WV beer drinkers. Then come the breath-taking beautiful twenty-pictures-page series: the motel room decoration is style un-inspiring; the landscape sooths the spirit; the driver is exhilarating and the rear mirror is genius.
The book opens with a 3,000-word Tyler Whisnand sentence that is one of the most original declarations of love to his own country: America.
all images © Barbara Dijkhuis & Auke Vleer
The book opens into a map: the route from Los Angeles to New York, mainly driven on backroads.
Miliage numbers on the map correspond with the miliage numbers in the book images.
Buy all american.